Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Dressed to kill

I read about under dressing for weddings, in this post. Well, I have done just the opposite. The other day, we had to see Dad off at the Hazrat Nizamuddin station, Delhi. We had ambitiously planned to attend a wedding reception after seeing off Dad. Not wanting to attract any attention at such a place as a railway station, I wore a black Mysore crepe with a quiet embroidered blouse, and took some light jewelry in the purse, so as to wear it later—and was ready when R came home. That in itself was a feat considering I had to get dinner ready for kids and f-i-l, and also pack some dinner for Dad.(Though the train was catered, you never can take a chance with diabetics.) Then R said the sari was not ok for a wedding reception. I was so thrilled to get an opinion that I changed into a brighter, grander Kanjeevaram sari, against my better judgment. Also changed the jewelry in the purse. Usually, when I ask for an opinion, all I get is”Hmm, OK!” And this time, I hadn’t even asked!
Old Murphy wrote all those laws expressly for me, of course. Because the day Dad was leaving was also the day half of Delhi decided to get married, it seems. So though we left in good time, we got held up in humungous jams. Tension was mounting. As it is, Dad belongs to the “reach-the-station-an-hour-before-departure” school of thought. We hadn’t known about the weddings, and another thing we didn’t factor in was that Dad would need a lot of time to make it to the platform, what with negotiating the overbridge and all. When we realized that, and got clear of the jams, R really stepped on it. So we managed to make it with a little time to spare, even.
You can imagine me running after the coolie in high heels and a Kanjeevaram! And clutching the purse for dear life! Ugh, the platform was dirty---I hiked up the sari to above the ankles, and bunched up the pallu too. The sari went to the drycleaners the next day! Anyway, after the train left, R didn’t feel up to going for the reception, neither did I. We headed back home. The traffic was even more on the return trip, and we wouldn’t have reached before 11pm, so we stopped en route and had a sandwich at Subway. I had got strange looks at the station, which were nothing compared to the polite glances which came my way at the restaurant---it had the multiplex crowd, and some people who seemed to have walked in for a snack, in track pants and baggy tees. Aaaargh! Never again!
Multitasking is all very well, and something to be proud of, but not to this extent!

11 Comments:

Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

:D Well I'm of the school of thot better to be overdressed the underdressed! Btw full marks for managing a station run in saree and heels

23/11/05 9:20 AM  
Blogger LAK said...

Shoefiend, Welcome, and thanx!But I think I looked like a Christmas tree! The sari was green!

23/11/05 6:13 PM  
Blogger The ramblings of a shoe fiend said...

:D You would have fit right in over here! There;s xmas overload everywhere!

24/11/05 4:09 AM  
Blogger Zette Remi said...

Hats off to you :-) Even though I don't wear saree too often, I carry it off with ease. However, the before thought of wearing a saree for an occasion tires me out. The saree, the blouse, the "petticoat" (:-)) and the safety pins!! Too many things to organize...

24/11/05 10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I can't run in high heels and trousers/skirt let alone saree. Well done you

25/11/05 2:00 AM  
Blogger LAK said...

Hey, I can't take too much credit for the high heels--they were platforms(no pun intended, ha ha!), not stilettos!

25/11/05 7:14 AM  
Blogger sinusoidally said...

Hi...first time on your blog.

I once saw a bride in her wedding gown with her groom all dressed up in a tuxedo grabbing a bite in the Mc Donlad's! I took a picture!

27/11/05 8:21 AM  
Blogger LAK said...

Sinusoidally, welcome! Hope no one took MY picture!

27/11/05 8:44 PM  
Blogger Primalsoup said...

Heh! As long as someone can possibly be killed, overdressing can be useful! :)

7/12/05 10:13 AM  
Blogger Shankari said...

lol. loved this laks!But ya, been there done that! I'd of course, rush through in my road roller fashion even if I'm cringing within. And, the Subway would have been a lot worse than Niz.

9/12/05 11:33 PM  
Blogger LAK said...

Shankari, welcome! Yes, I felt more embarrassed at Subway, than at the station.

10/12/05 12:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home